Thursday, August 27, 2009

27 Aug – Winnemucca, NV

The HOG people have a rally centred on this town called “run-amucker in Winnemucca” so it's not just me that finds the name amusing. What's not amusing is the ride here. It was OK from Stockton to Colfax going over the mountain but then it flattened out and got baking hot. I am told that from here to Salt Lake City is even more inhospitable. Sure glad I don't have to ride this road to often. Actually the Californians do have to ride this route or one as equally onerous (to and from Barstow) to get out of the state. Anyway, heat and all we made it to Winnemucca and met up with “littledoc” who will ride with us back to Stockton tomorrow. In the meantime we had a delightful dinner at a Basque restaurant. On the menu were crumbed sweetbreads, tongue, lamb shanks and other delights. What really surprised me was the number of people tucking into the stuff. Here's me thinking that the Yanks only eat hamburgers. I still think New Zealand bread and butter pudding is better – just a little too much nutmeg for my taste. Whilst on food I must mention breakfast. VSP took me into what looked like a fruit and vege market from the 1930's. It was and it also had a dining room that was historically mostly frequented by the traders but in particular the Japanese “before they were accepted into society”. Prior to WWII and up to as late as the 1950's a lot of the Japanese-Americans were produce farmers and gardeners. The menu reflects this history to the extent that with your breakfast eggs you have a choice of hash browns or fried rice.

It's sad to think that the only useful comments about the day is the food we had but there it is. Photo 853

No comments: