Sunday, October 5, 2008

3 Oct - Deals Gap



It was very cold last night – almost to a frost – and foggy this morning. Seems this is what I am to expect for the next few days. By 11 am the fog had lifted and the road had dried. The Tail of the Dragon starts at Deals Gap on US 129 and is an 11 mile stretch of road with 318 curves and is a motorcycle mecca. Even by NZ standards this is a pretty good road and similar to the Rimatuka hill road or the Pahiatua track. Sports bike riders love it, though on the Friday I rode it cruisers were the most prevalent bike style. Watch out Saturday apparently. Casualties, yes, a Harley all bent up sitting on a trailer and a GSX 750 having its fairing pieced back together at a near by bike shop, the result of an unintentional stoppie. The guy was lucky because he needed to ride it back to Ontario, Canada. Funny incident: the route has strategically placed photographers taking pictures of the riders as they pass – the idea is that you buy the picture as a memento. I see this guy taking a photo so pull up my camera and take a picture of the picture taker – no big deal I thought until I got to the end when the guy following me bailed me up. Seems he was having a hard time keeping up with me (on my Nomad??) and lost all confidence in himself when he sees me going round the corner one handed taking a photo. Seems I surprised the photographer as well. Anyway. tomorrow I move on.